21IB, 5ID, PA Brigade Supporting Effort (SE) conducts “development support operations” to sustain the peace against threat groups and to: Defeat ASG & rescue KVs; Contain RME; Support inter-agency LEO; Support the peace process with the MNLF and MILF; Perform DRRO; Enforce Martial Law Guidelines; and Assist Government Agencies in their socio-economic and development activities effective 01 January 2017 in order to bring about progress and lasting peace in Bn AO.
Unit Seal and Description/Symbolism (NHCP approval of available)
INVINCIBLE- The motto means the unconquerable spirit of the Officers and Man of the Battalion.
21- Numeric Designation of the unit.
The shield symbolizes defense and protection provided by the unit in each AOR. While the color blue signify the battalion’s quest for peace and security.
The three (3) stars symbolize the three major islands of the Philippines namely; Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. The color yellow of the three stars signify the optimism and joy of the unit in the pursuit of mandated mission.
The knight signifies the mighty and bravery of the soldiers in the ancient ages which also characterize the Officers and Men of the Battalion. The color white stands for purity of ideals and precision in the conduct of battalion operations.
The swords symbolize courage and determination in the pursuit of Peace and security.
The borders colored yellow symbolize the battalion’s idealism and hope in the performance of their duty.
Vision, Motto and unit Moniker.
Vision: By 2022, the personnel of 21IB a modern and respected army with outmost level of professionalism and proficiency.
Motto: ”FIGTHING THROUGH ADVERSITIES IN THE NAME OF PEACE”
unit Moniker: INVINCIBLE
Activation Date (Include deactivation/reactivation dates)
On 01 Mar 1973, Reactivation of 21st IB from the defunct 21st Battalion Combat Team (BCT).
Organization and station (AO)
21IB, 5ID, PA stationed at Brgy Danag, Patikul, Sulu covers twenty Seven (27) Barangays in the province of Sulu. Five (5) in the municipality of Patikul and twenty two (22) in municipality of Talipao).
Significant event, Major operations, activities and Accomplishment (In chronological order)
This unit was first deployed in Mindanao and has been seen in action in Cotabato, Zamboanga and Basilan. Immediately after its activation and training at Fort Magsaysay, Palayan City. The battalion was recalled and dispatched to continue combat assignment in Luzon after three (3) years of combat duty in Mindanao. From 1979 to 2013 the battalion has covered almost every barangay of Region 2, the Central Plain of Luzon and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
For the past eleven (11) years of excellence of doing its tasks and mission from CY 2000 to 2011 the unit area of operations covers the central part of the Cordillera Administrative Region concentrating on the two (2) Provinces of Kalinga and Apayao and Western part of Cagayan. Because of the unit relentless efforts in bringing peace to the people and socio economic development in its area of responsibility, particularly in the two (2) provinces of Kalinga and Apayao, the Internal Security Operations (ISO) responsibility of the two (2) provinces were handed-over to their respective local executives on 13 February 2010 and 08 November 2010.
The first Infantry Battalion that implements Mass Base Operations (MBO) and later shifted its operational paradigm with the new Internal Peace and Security Plan “Bayanihan” of the AFP on the first quarter of Calendar Year 2011 in the two (2) Provinces of Kalinga and Apayao that gains popular support and appreciations from the LGUs in the area, other stakeholders and community members.
On 05 March 2013, the Battalion was dispatched in the Province of Cagayan and it was given task to continue the campaign against the communist terrorists in Cagayan Valley, and was able to launch simultaneous combat, intelligence and civil military operations that definitely decreased enemy influence in the area of responsibility.
On 26 September 2014, this unit was redeployed for the second time in Mindanao. On 03 October 2014, the Invincible Troopers stationed its Bn headquarters at Upper Landing, Dumingag, ZDS. On the 12th day of March 2015, the Bn forwarded at Poblacion, Leon B Postigo, ZDN in response to the growing threat caused by Communist terrorists and other lawless elements in the province of Zamboanga Del Norte.
On 16 September 2015, the unit was moved to Municipality Labason, Zamboanga Del Norte. After six (6) months, the unit once again forwarded to Brgy Bag-Ong Argao, Molave, ZDS on 21 March 2016. During this period, the Bn was one of the instruments in the peaceful conduct of 2016 National Election in the province of ZDS.
On 16 May 2016, the humble troops of Invincible Battalion were given a new challenging task to secure the area of Zamboanga City as part of the Task Force Zamboanga. The battalion itself was situated inside Camp General Arturo T Enrile, Malagutay, Zamboanga City. The Invincible troopers supported the conduct of law enforcement of the said city against kidnapping, bombing and other atrocities perpetrated by armed lawless elements. Further, the unit participated in the socio- economic development activities, disaster preparedness and conducted Modified Bayanihan Team Activities to the priority barangays in the coastal areas.
Three months later, on 16 August 2016, the Invincible troopers was transferred to the island of Sulu to participate in the campaign against the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) through Focus Military Operations concentrating in the areas of Patikul and Talipao. The unit established its Battalion Headquarters at Brgy Danag, Patikul, Sulu.
- Best Bn in CMO in 1982.
- Best Bn in Opn in 1983.
- Presidential Commendation given by Pres Corazon C Aquino in 1989.
- Presidential Streamer Award in 1992.
- Command Plaque for having been adjudged as the Best Bn in CMO and Opn for CY 1995
- Command Plaque and Award of Merit for having been adjudged as Div Best Inf Bn for CY 1996 and CY1997
- AFP Chief of Staff Streamer award for CY 1997
- Streamer Award for Alpha Coy as 5ID Best Rifle Coy for CY 1997.
- Award of Command Streamer for Div Best Maneuver Bn for CY 1999.
- Award of Merit for Div Best Bn for triad Opn for CY 1999
- Presidential Bantayog Alay-Kalinga Award given by Mr Alfredo Mar C Andaya from countrywide technology Development Foundation in CY 2009
- Certificate of Recognition given by DepEd Kalinga for 2000
- Award of Merit given by BGEN RODOLFO C GARCIA AFP in 2000
- Plaque of Recognition given by COL JOSE WARLITO M SAYAM FA (GSC) PA in 2000.
- Certificate of Appreciation given by Hon Gov Macario Duguiang in 2001
- Certificate of Gratitude given by Comelia D Peralta from DepEd Div Kalinga 2001
- Certificate of Appreciation given by Rev Fr. Romeo G Dawaton from Our Lady of Lourdes High School Kabugao, Apayao in 2009
- Certificate of Appreciation given by Norma B Brillantes Ed.D from DepEd Div Kalinga in 2010
- Certificate of Recognition given by Ms Iluminada D Panabe of IDP Foundation Inc in 2010
- Certificate of Commendation given by Hon Gov Elias C Bulot Jr, Provincial Governor of Apayao, CY 2011.
- Certificate of Commendation given by Hon James Edduba from LGU of Pasil in CY 2011
- Certificate of Appreciation given by Gov Jocel C Baac Provincial Governor of Kalinga, CY 2011.
- Best Bn 2nd Quarter CY-2011
- Plaque of Recognition in Army Governance Path way (Initiated May 2018 and Compliant may 2018)
– This unit is on the process of completing the requirements of its application for ATR proficient stage.
– Launching 21IB IMPLAN “BAKAL” 01-17 dtd 041200H June 2017 to IMPLAN ”PAGLALAKBAY” 01-17 H501Bde dtd 16 February 2017.
Lineage of Commanders (Date assumed and Date relived)
|LTC RODOLFO F COMMANDANTE INF (GSC) PA||29 Mar 73 – 27 Jun 73|
|LTC ALFREDO R RAMOS (INF) PA||27 Jun 73 – 23 Oct 74|
|LTC RESTITUTU E LEYRITANA (INF) PA||23 Oct 74 – 16 Jul 75|
|MAJ EDGARDO S KASILAG (INF) PA||16 Jul 75 – 01 Nov 76|
|LTC DOMINGO F GOMEZ (INF) PA||01 Nov 76 – 01 Mar 77|
|LTC LOTHERIO A GRAGEDA (INF) PA||01 Mar 77 – 16 Mar 78|
|LTC ANTONIO C PALAFOX (INF) PA||16 Mar 78 – 15 Jan 80|
|COL CRISTINO R PIOL FA (GSC) PA||15 Jan 80 – 16 Mar 86|
|LTC JOVENCIO F MENDOZA (INF) PA||16 Mar 86 – 16 Oct 86|
|LTC REYNALDO P LAZARO (CAV) PA||16 Oct 86 – 16 Nov88|
|LTC MELANIO F TANGONAN INF (GSC) PA||16 Nov 88 – 22 Feb 89|
|LTC CERILLO L BAUCAS (INF) PA||22 Feb 89 – 06 Mar 89|
|LTC RODOLFO G ALVARADO (INF) PA||06 Mar 89 – 06 Jun 90|
|LTC OSCAR P BACENA (OS) PA||06 Jun 90 – 02 Aug 91|
|LTC REY E TONGCOL (INF) PA||02 Aug 91 – 29 Mar 94|
|LTC LAZARO M JUAN (INF) PA||29 Mar94 – 16 JAN 96|
|MAJ EDUARDO S PINSON (FA) PA||16 Jan 96 – 24 Jan 97|
|LTC FEDERICO C VIDAD (INF) PA||24 Jan 97 – 18 Jun 97|
|MAJ MAXIMO G CARO (INF) PA||03 Jul 97 – 15 Mar 98|
|LTC SANTOS C SABADO (INF) PA||16 Jun 98 – 01 Nov 98|
|LTC RAFAEL A DE HITTA (INF) PA||09 Jan 99 – 14 Jan 01|
|LTC PEDRO C DULOS JR (FA) PA||14 Jan 01 – 01 Oct 01|
|LTC TEODORO CT TORRALBA III INF (GSC) PA||01 Oct 01 – 05 Feb 03|
|MAJ PAUL D AZUR FA (GSC) PA||05 Feb 03 – 19 Apr 04|
|LTC CHRISTOPHER C ESTELLA INF (GSC) PA||19 Apr 04 – 17 Sep 05|
|LTC FRANCIS EUGENIO L LARDIZABAL INF (GSC) PA||01 Dec 05 – 31 Jan 08|
|LTC ANTONIO R LASTIMADO INF (GSC) PA||01 Feb 08 – 15 Feb 10|
|LTC MANING S TAWANTAWAN INF (GSC) PA||16 Feb 10 – 29 Jan 12|
|LTC FELIX A BENITEZ INF (GSC) PA||01 Feb 12 – 15 Feb14|
|LTC NICEFORO M DIAZ JR INF (GSC) PA||16 Feb 14 –15 Dec 15|
|LTC PRESCO G LOBOS INF (GSC) PA||16 Dec 15 – 27 Dec 17|
|LTC JESUS C PAGALA INF (GSC) PA||27 Dec 17 – To date|